Sunday 21 December 2014

Building a Greater Brass Scorpion part II

After a brief intermission from working on the Brass Scorpion, I dared to continue. The model has been primed and has received a leadbelcher basecoat. Since the actual construction of the model involves overlapping armour plates and other areas I can't reach well, and seeing that the model is quite a hassle to put together right (ball joints, many flimsy legs), I decided to paint each part individually and put the whole together when done.

However, I'm a bit lost in the creative process. Clearly, this scorpion won't be Khorny red. I want it to be a mean heavy metal machine, with lots of wear and tear, rust and weathering. The thing that halted the process is the matter of hazard stripes. Should I put hazard stripes onto this model, or should I not?

If so, where would the hazard stripes be best? On its pincers? One of the armour plates perhaps? I just can't decide. I don't know if it would compliment the model either. If you read this, and have an opinion on this, please share. I'm at a complete loss!

Perhaps some hazard stripes on (some of) its legs? Hnnnghh..

Best belly there is!


2 comments:

  1. I have never seen the underside of a scorpion till this moment. My god. It's gorgeous. I had no idea all that detail was hidden. I just want that model for the underside!!!!!

    Have you thought about putting a varnish coat on one of the armor plates, (to protect whats done so far), then trying some different colors and techniques to see what you like? You should be able to take them back off with some alcohol if you don't like them. (test on a small piece first in case I'm wrong and ruin everything)

    I'd skip the hazard stripes personally. I'd go for something less vanilla on a model like this. (not that hazard stripes done well are bad...i just don't think it fits a daemonic engine of this magnitude...maybe something like a vindicator)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Greg. I do appreciate it.
    Personally, I agree with you on the hazard stripes. They don't have a real place on this model, that's probably the reason I am doubting about where to put them.
    The trick with the varnish coat is nice as well, I've got some matt varnish lyring around. Will try it out on a miniature first, before putting it onto a model this big (and expensive). ;)

    The underside is a blast. Once it's all done, I will take some good quality pictures of it. In between the cabling there are several hapless victims hanging around. Really gruesome once painted up I reckon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...