Tuesday 10 November 2015

Editorial: Concerning the "Second-army Syndrome"






Hi folks,

I know this blog was originally solely dedicated to the painting and gaming of and with my Guardians of the Covenant army and lately, the Iron Warriors have been ever more prevalent. Thing is, I suffer from the "second army syndrome". While I absolutely love the Guardians of the Covenant to bits, I seem to favour my second large army, the Iron Warriors, a bit more. The Guardians moving to obscurity a bit. I still play with them from time to time, but Chaos and IA13 is where I get my kicks nowadays. Sure, I've got a new Mortis Dreadnought (the boxy one) and several nice Land Speeders including a Darkshroud and Sableclaw primed black and ready to paint, I still need to regain my mojo with the Guardians of the Covenant.

As will all large armies that span the process of several years, my skill with painting has grown as well. This is quite visible when comparing both armies. I'm not saying the Guardians were painted badly, but the Iron Warriors are simply painted better. Especially the weathering on the vehicles is better with my Chaos tanks, save for the GotC Fellblade, which is still one of my best models to date.

Currently, my Iron Warriors have surpassed my Guardians of the Covenant as the biggest army. That is no small feat, because the Guardians have always been Apocalypse-sized around 5000pts. I would like to regain my painting mojo when it comes to the Guardians of the Covenant, not at the cost of losing interest with my Iron Warriors, of course.

Still, it's not all negative. I've been working on a nice Inquisitorial warband and ditto Inquisitor. One I've written a cool backstory for in the past. The Inquisitor and his warband is meant to accompany my Guardians army. They're halfway finished. If anything, a good impulse to my "loyalist army."

Still, with the Betrayal at Calth on the horizon, 30k gaming is a given sooner or later. I've already got  several units that are have a dual function as both Chaos and Horus Heresy units (rapiers, autocannon squad, Mk3 veterans). So, I am looking for a way to keep the Guardians of the Covenant interesting, even though the focus will be shifting to Heresy-era Iron Warriors sooner or later.

Knowing myself, I know that painting and working on a certain army creates the buzz, more than actually playing with an army. So, perhaps purchasing some new units or finishing up Guardians that have been in a WIP state for several years might help.

When I take a look at several fellow hobbyists I know, I see that I am not the only one with the Second-army Syndrome. Mostly, it's one army standing firmly in the spotlights and more often that not, it's the army that is newest that steals the show.

Still, I am interested in how other people cope with this? Are you able to love your armies and play with them equally, or is one of your armies prone to neglect on the shelf? How would you handle, or even, solve this?




-Revan88

1 comment:

  1. Everything is cyclical! It might take a couple months, but eventually attention returns - even if it takes almost a year, something will happen to spark interest - a piece of artwork, a new novel, a new campaign, maybe new rules (although the latter could just as easily push me away as draw me in!). It just takes time...so my armies are patient indeed.


    And actually, "Second Army" syndrome isn't just a thing, but "Second Game System" syndrome is even more prevalent for me. I find 40K took a back seat to Kings of War, which then takes a back seat to D&D, which takes a back seat to another completely different hobby...but eventually I know I'll return to 40K.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...